AK Fire are Specialists in Dry Risers
If you are looking for a dry riser experts To help with your maintenance, servicing or testing of your risers AK Fire can help. We have a team of specialists with many years of practical experience in the industry. We work on dry risers and fire hydrants in UK and offer UK coverage. AK Fire offer one stop shop for all your fire safety requirements.
Dry Riser Servicing
Dry Riser Testing
BS9990 – Dry Riser British Standard
What are Dry Risers ?
A dry riser is a normally empty pipe that can be externally connected to a pressurised water source by firefighters. It is a vertical pipe intended to distribute water to multiple levels of a building or structure as a component of the fire suppression systems.
Dry riser regulations:
The building regulations surrounding the installation of a dry riser is the are pretty simple and they follow guidelines set by the British standard code of practice.
- Firstly dry riser regulations state that they should be installed in buildings where the floor is 18 metres above ground level to 60 metres above ground level.
- The consideration for the design of the dry riser mains should be that all of the fittings and pipe work should be made out of galvanized wrought steel.
- Before installation building regulations must be adhered to and if needed planning permission sought.
- The fire service should be consulted and their advice on a suitable position for the units to be installed taken. This is because they will be the ones doing all of the work and using the equipment therefore it needs to be to their standards.
- The dry riser should be situated near a water supply so that adequate flow can be obtained for fire fighting purposes.
- A dry riser will need to be checked and serviced twice a year under regulations that state a professional company must come in and conduct a full test annually whilst also going six monthly checkups.